Some MoaCube sales stats
The blog was meant to become a bi-weekly thing until Cinders‘ release, but this could be interesting for many, so there you go.
Today, we’re getting our first payment from BMT Micro. I thought I could share some stats and few quick observations.
- Magi is still selling, even after so many years.
- $5.95 Magi sells the best, but only slightly better than Cinders $19.95 pre-order.
- Not much interest in Magi Supporter Bundle (the one for $25).
- Judging from Cinders pre-orders, our Mac audience is very small. App Store to blame? Or just bad marketing?
- Magi $50 Investment Bundle was a big success. We may do something similar in the future.
- Magi for $5.95 didn’t get that much profit. So much for the “if your games would be cheaper, you would get more sales and profit” theory.
- Magi contributed much more to our profit than I thought it would.
- Cinders pre-orders at $19.95 both sell a lot and earn a lot. Vicinity of $20 still the sweet spot?
- No surprises here. More traffic = more money.
- The sales spike without a traffic spike (at around 25% in) is from Pig-Min’s feature on Magi. Shows that traffic can have different value.
- The largest sales spike is Cinders pre-orders launch. Much less of a traffic spike there. Shows that there were some fans waiting for it.
I’m not comfortable with disclosing our exact numbers just yet, but in general — if this was to continue — I could already make a modest living out of it. Gracjana — Cinders artist — not yet. She gets half of Cinders profits, but its Magi sales that contributed a lot this month. Shows the value of having an existing games for passive income. Of course, this is just for pre-orders. Actual sales should be much higher, especially with the affiliate deals we’ve secured.
I think we should start making some reasonable money, to let us make games, pay bills and eat food at the same time without taking an extra job, after our next release. Though, everything seems to point out that our next project is also going to be the hardest. With Cinders, we had some savings from our former job to kickstart us. But our next title will have to rely on whatever we’re able to get with Cinders. Which may be just a bit too little. We’ll see how that goes. In the worst case, it may make sense to borrow a small sum from friends to finish it up, as it should be much easier from the second game on.